Monday, August 13, 2012

Whoo-whooo-whoooooo will be in First Grade??

If you follow me at all on facebook, you'll know by now that I'm a fan of owls.  Just something about that bird!  So, it won't be a big surprise that my classroom this year will have lots and lots of owls in it!  I've rearranged the room and I'm happily working on cleaning out the old to make ready for the new.  This is the fun part...the "work" part comes when I start looking at curriculum and planning.  Fun, yes....difficult...also yes.  :) 

I've had several people ask me about WHOOOOO will be in my classroom and when supply lists will be delivered.  I know that you will be notified soon, but I don't have those answers for you.  Sorry!  I leave all that official business up to those in charge.  :) 


What I can tell you is this:  If I have the pleasure of teaching your child this year, you will need a healthy snack EVERY day!  We do not do shared snacks in first grade -- each child brings his/her own.  However, we like to emphasize HEALTHY snacks.  Chips, chocolate, cupcakes, etc are not healthy and will not help your child make it through the long morning of work and learning.  That leap from Kindergarten to First Grade is a big one -- and one of the biggest changes is that your child will be expected to work for longer periods of time.  In order to make this happen, your child will need FUEL -- products full of sugar will not provide the fuel and will only work against your child's success.  Please help me to help your child learn:  provide healthy snacks daily!  Examples of healthy snacks?  Fruits! Cheese/Crackers!  Yogurt!    Be sure to check the labels -- if the sugar content is high, it doesn't matter if the box says "whole grains."  Lots of boxed foods say that now -- they don't all equal healthy alternatives. 

See you real soon!  Enjoy your last few weeks of summer!  Don't forget our Open House on August 28!

No comments:

Post a Comment